.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

05 September 2006

Atari

I'm still in Belgium for a few weeks, but my mind is often in Syria.
Am still waiting for the sun to come out.

Although today life in Syria is very different from the Belgian way of living, it will not take too long before they catch up.

In the village, I am probably the only one with internet, but the example is set and everybody is talking about it.

As soon as the villagers can afford it, they buy a computer for their children who use it for playing games and watching music videos.

Whenever I visit a PC owning family, it doesn't take long before I sit in front of the PC with the public on chairs behind me while one of the children goes through the available list of videos and games. Every time, they are impressed when I show them how to change the screensaver. It is like magic to them. This public is easy to please.

When I tell them it is possible to phone through the internet while seeing the other person on-screen, they are astonished.

For the parents, the PC will continue to be a miracle. The young children, though, will learn quickly.

Whenever Rehaaf (3 years) sits next to me while I'm playing a game on my laptop, she is very quiet and follows every move of my fingers. Until she decides it is her turn and she pushes the on/off button without any hesitation.

The first time she was afraid I would be angry, because the screen went black. Instead I told her : OK, finished... And put the laptop in a safe place.

The second time, she was not afraid anymore and before I could say anything, she pushed the button again to activate the PC.

When she pushes this button it is a sign for me that we should do other things together and it is not difficult to let her forget the existence of a PC nearby.

It is much more difficult for her 5-year old brother, Ahmed, who wakes up in the morning or after the siesta in the afternoon and starts asking immediately for the "Atari" (games on mobile or PC). I think he dreams about it.

Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home