.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

16 July 2006

THE

Although the every day life has not changed, Israel’s aggression against Lebanon is on everybody’s mind.

It is THE topic of (every) day and has pushed the money matters to number 2 in the hit parade of the conversation items.

All day, Syrian television is broadcasting on this situation.

It’s not easy for the Syrians who feel deeply touched by the images of babies and small children being killed or injured by bombings, be it Israeli attacks in Lebanon or terrorist attacks in Iraq.

They feel one with these people. A few months ago, when the Palestinian government ran out of money, a lot of Syrians donated money to the Palestinian people.

I tell them that for me nothing new is under the sun. Actually, the peaceful situation in Lebanon of the last years has been an exception in my mind. But, they do not seem to recall the trouble Lebanon has known before.

This is typical for the people I have become to know here. They live in the present and are very emotional. Tears flow regularly while watching the television.

Other than that, I have been eating THE delicatessen of this region : lamb’s head, paws, stomach and intestines. Or better, I tasted it. Not my favourite.

Also saw the whole process of preparing it from delivery in a black plastic bag (flies and bad smell included) to it being served in several dishes on a big plate.

I stick to the vegetables and fruit that are available in abundance, yoghurt and from time to time chicken or kebab.

The tomatoes are in season. They are deep red. So are the melons and watermelons. Within 2 weeks, the figs will be ripe. And soon after the pomegranates.

And, the big news is that The floor is finished in my house. I can move in. There is still lot to do, but it is liveable.

Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home