.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

26 June 2006

Arlish

Syria is a country you can drive through (on your own) without any problem. You just have to adapt to the Syrian way of driving which is very chaotic and aggressive.

The roadsigns are usually in Arabic and English. Most of the publicity boards are only in English.

I always ask myself why, because most Syrians do not know any English. Is it meant for the foreigners ? They are a very small minority.

Most road signs show errors in English.

The names of the towns are often spelt wrong and not always the same. Sometimes one is directed to Edlib and sometimes to Idlib, while the travel guides mention Edlib.

And... Aleppo thankes your visit. They are very polite people here.

My favourite road sign I read often in small villages. It says : Do not cross before being free. So, every time I ask myself : Am I free ? The answer until now is "yes" which means I can cross without any problem. Until now, it works.

Furthermore, one eats here in a resturant and goes to an internet coffee. In Damascus, one of these resturants has its menu in Arabic and French. The "salop" is one of their suggestions. For those who don't know french very well, this is a bad name for a woman of wrong behaviour. I've never ordered one, but whenever I do I'm sure I will get an escalope. Or not ?

Getting confused ? I sometimes am... especially when someone promises me to do something for tomorrow (bokra) and it is not yet done 1 week later.

Actually, I learnt that "bokra" is translated into "tomorrow", but it does not mean "the day after today". It means "I will do it for sure whenever I feel like doing it". And that can be the day after tomorrow. It can also be next month.

Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home