.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

21 July 2006

Moved in

Finally. It took 2 months of patience.

And I’ve got a washing machine. Have been washing and cleaning for 3 days.
And bit by bit it is starting to feel like home.

It felt good to unpack all the luggage that I brought with me (45 kg). It’s good to have some of your own stuff. The stuff that you’re used to since many years.
There is still to bring over; though.

Next time I can transport some more of my own is in September. I will be going to Belgium on August 25th and coming back on September 20th.

Am afraid it will be too soon for my espresso machine, as there are other things to bring over first.

On the day I decided to move in, I started by taking all my belongings across the field where the cucumbers are growing. It took 5 crossings in the burning afternoon sun. Got some help from Mohamed and Ahmed. Soon Mariam, their mother who accepted me in her house for 2 months, baby Jasmine and Rehaaf were also in the house. Immediately followed by some visitors.

It was hard for me to have all this company, because I wanted to savour this moment I had been waiting for for such a long time, but as I mentioned in a previous article : “privacy” is not something they know here. Syrians can’t stand to be alone and don’t understand the need to be alone.

The day after I took revenge. Did not come out of the house and ignored the hellos from the neighbour’s children.

Yesterday, I felt the need to see Rehaaf again. I had seen her pointing to me every time she saw me on the balcony. Invited her to come to my house and have some watermelon. She ate a whole bowl of it all by herself while telling me the news of the last few days.
Remember… she is nearly 3 and talks baby language. As usual, she needed a wash after having eaten and discovered the shower with much pleasure. Satisfied she agreed to go home to see her baby sister.

I’ve got internet (slow), running water, electricity installed. Still need some furniture, but that is not the most important thing. Glasses, tea, coffee, some food and a tray are indispensable, as any moment visitors can come by.

Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home