.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

25 October 2005

Syrian hospitality

So, it's a fact. I'm going back to Syria in 4 weeks. Bought my ticket last Friday.

Some friends ask me whether it's not boring to go back to the same destination every time and it would be, if I would go back as a tourist. But I really don't feel myself as a tourist anymore over there. Sharing the life of a Syrian family is an extremely interesting and beautiful experience. Not an opportunity that you get every day.

Syrian hospitality doesn't find its equal in any European culture and is so different from ours.

Many young Syrians dream of coming to Europe to live and work here. Every time, I explain them that there are many other, so competition for a job is hard, that everything is expensive, but most of all I try to explain them that they would be immediately depressed.
I always picture them the arrival in Belgium. Once, passed immigration (passport and visa control), nobody would bother about them. Nobody would ask whether they are hungry, thirsty, feeling happy, because nobody cares.
They don't really understand. It is so different from what they know.

I hope their way of living and socializing will not get lost with the desire of getting the same "living standard" as we have, because they would loose a lot.

Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home