.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

29 August 2005

Fitness in Aleppo

After 1 week of asking around and inspecting some gyms in Aleppo, I pick one who meets best the criteria. It is clean and the coaches are nice and friendly and seem to be knowledgeable.

On Saturday, I went for the first time on my own. And for sure, the coaches are knowledgeable. They explained all the exercises and were astonished about the number of kilos that I take and that I insist on doing 3 or 4 series.

I can understand their astonishment. Syrian women are not of the athletic kind.

Anyway, after 40 minutes training, a fitness session starts and I have to join in. They leave me no choice. And I did. I need to, because a good stepmachine is not available.
And, it wasn't that bad. It is actually gymnastics at a relatively high speed.

I discovered something I do not like about Syria. As the gym is not for mixed audience, it is open for women only 3 days a week from 10 til 15 o'clock. I don't like the restriction in time, because if you miss 1 day, it means you cannot go for 3 or 4 days. But, I have to accept it.

What I do like about this system is, that it is women only. Some come in completely covered in black and change into a very glittery training, some start to dance, others bring their small children and some hang around for the company.

Today, I went for the second time, and some start having conversations with me. Them with 2 words of English and me with 2 words of Arabic and the rest is non-verbal. With a lot of smiles.

Google

1 Comments:

  • Maar goed dat je een fitness hebt gevonden. Ze zouden u naar BelgiĆ« terug kunnen rollen anders.
    Ik beleef plezier aan je blogs. Mooie verhalen.. Doet me dromen. Had ik Stef niet naar huis moeten brengen, waren we nog op stap gegaan in Tienen die laatste dag. Suikerrock als decor, .. niet slecht.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/10/05 22:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home