.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

22 September 2005

Syrian delicatessen

As said before, eating is very important in Syria. When the people have finished a meal, they are already planning he next meal. They're probably dreaming about it.

I can understand why. Eating is a social event. Family an friends gathered around a big dish (mostly sitting on the ground) filled with a lot of small plates containing all kinds of vegetables, rice, yoghurt and spices.

Most meals are vegetarian. Sometimes chicken is added to the the rice or borghoul (a variety of couscous). And once in a while a barbecue is organized with as main substance meat, i.e. chicken and kebab. On very special occasions fish is grilled.

Fish is very expensive. Even when it is coming from the Euphratis, not far from Aleppo.

As a whole, the syrian kitchen is varied and healthy. They do not use butter, only olive oil.

But sometimes the dishes are very exotic, as in Syria every part of the animal is eaten.

Last night, I had the opportunity to eat a very special dish.

I went to sleep at about 11 o'clock at night because was tired and suffering from a cold. At 02:30 in the morning I was woken up, telling me that a very good friend was visiting and that they had prepared an extraordinary dinner. I had to attend.

So, half awake, I pu ton a djellabah and went and greeted the friend. Sat down and waited for the delicatessen to be served.

It was 1 pan filled with what seemed to be liver and something else. I accepted 2 spoonfulls and ate very slowly, wrapping each piece of unidentified food with a lot of bread. It wasn't tasting bad, but some pieces were really tough.

After I had finished, I asked what it was. It were sheep testicles and penises...

I realize today that I probably would not have eaten it, if I had known beforehand.

Anyway, I did eat and have been telling about my adventure since this morning. And here is the story again...

Google

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 22/9/05 16:49  

  • Quite an experience indeed, I believe.
    Are you sure they were sheep’s?
    (finally I've visited your blog again)
    Greetz

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/10/05 19:22  

  • I've enjoyed reading your experiences of eating in Islamic culture - much more helpful than 'textbook' explanations of practices, in understanding people!

    By Blogger J-hole, at 12/10/05 16:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home