.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

08 September 2005

Woman between 4 walls

Lately, I've been having a lot of fun.

Am spending as much time as possible with women and children only, because it is the most fun for me and it really helps me learning the arabic language.

Actually, it is normal here for a woman to stay at home. A lot really stay between 4 walls and do not venture into the streets without their husband.

Sarwat is a new friend of mine. She is living like that and makes her family and others visit her a lot. I am now also a regular visitor.

She is 5 months pregnant of the first baby and she and her husband do not have a lot of means. Life is really simple. At the same time they are extremely generous.

I came in touch with her through her brother, Abdellah, who is working part time in the hotel and who is, of course, family of the hotel's owner. It is a big family !

It was with her Auntie, sisters and brothers that I spent the night in the village, Kafarrame, a few weeks ago.

Last week she invited me also to spend the night. Her husband did not mind at all. In the evening, she (with help) took the big matrass of the bed and put it on the terrace. We both slept outside which is what I'm doing almost every night and her husband, Khaled, fell asleep before the television in the living room.

Before going to bed, we also did the laundry (mainly mine). When we woke up in the morning at 7, the laundry was dry and after some ironing and talking to one another in Arabic/English telegram style, I left for the hotel which is only a few minutes away.

2 houses further is living a family with 8 daughters, no sons. Most of them are married, but 3 girls are running in and out at Sarwat's place. They are adorable and eager to learn English and French. Zahra is 14, Diana is 12 and Oemraan is 8.

Their father is a "patissier". Therefore, a lot of sweets. I'm getting fat... So, really integrating well, because arabic women need to be fat, I've been told.

The girls' parents are the nicest of people. Have been visiting them also and every time I pass the house, the mother is asking me in. They were very enthousiastic when I asked whether it was OK for me to spend time with their children, so we can teach each other English/French/Arabic.

Every time I leave, the question is : When are you coming back ? I have 3 more weeks.

Google

1 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/9/05 18:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home