.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

04 October 2005

Ramadan

Now that I'm staying a week longer, I'm also experiencing Ramadan although not by fasting myself.

Yesterday evening, the beginning of Ramadan was announced at 20:30 with some canonshots and fireworks. Everybody was reacting as if a party was starting.
That was in the evening before the first day of fasting.

Today, I see a different behaviour. The first day is the hardest one, especially for the smokers, and there a lot of them here.

Everybody is visiting and seeking the company of others, not to think too much about smoking, drinking, eating, etc...

In about 1,5 hour the day will be over. Everybody is now waiting for the end of the day and starting to prepare the meals.

At about 18:00 the moezzin will announce the end of the day and they told me that the families will be sitting all together in front of the television on which the chanting of the moezzin is broadcast. When the sign is given, they will all throw themselves on the food.

In a few minutes, I'll be visiting some friends and enjoy that moment with them.

I am too weak to fast myself and feel a bit guilty. Maybe next year...

Google

1 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/10/05 16:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home