.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

26 November 2007

They are back

The nights are really cold now. But the days are sunny. That’s a relief after 4 days of dark grey clouds and lots of rain.

Lots of rain. The soil is still humid. Good for the plants and trees that are growing again.

The olive picking is finished since this morning. Most of the olives are small and dry. The olive oil will be expensive this year.

The 2 white chickens are back, but not laying eggs. No wonder. They are traumatized.

As it happens, they were chased by the rooster on the first evening and they escaped over the wall to the neighbour’s garden. This is a big long garden full of olive trees. The first day when they were missing we asked around and searched for them. Nobody knew where they were. Then, in the afternoon on the second day of their disappearance, I saw Abdellah, the neighbour from across’ son, sitting on the wall and throwing white chicken into the garden and… the rooster.

It was time for them to go into the chicken house, but the white ones didn’t want to. They were very confused. When the sun was down, they settled in a corner of the garden. It was a piece of cake to take them up and to put them into the chicken house. They did not leave it for 2 days.

Nowadays, they go out in the sun and know me as “the feeder”. Yesterday, one of them flew on my shoulder. Does that mean she likes me?

It is hard to feed them with 4 others in the neighbourhood. Those are robots programmed to eat. They spot every bit of food immediately and attack it in no time.

The white ones are slow and cautious. Handicapped as their beak has been cut. Used to being in a warm spot (heated, if necessary), getting their mushy food regularly. I’m sure they don’t get enough to eat. They are learning gradually and I do defend their food spot for a while before the others come in.

As for the rooster… the next afternoon he was missing again. The 3 red chickens came towards me making a lot of sounds, flying up onto my shoulder and head, as if they wanted to explain that he had flown over the wall again.

I sat down before the chicken house and waited for him and 1 minute before sunset he flew back over the wall. Probably had been doing that for a while, but nobody noticed. I was in Belgium for 2 weeks. We cut his wings.

During the dark grey days, we had 3 German campers (2 vehicles). As by coincidence, they arrived on the same day. Despite the weather they liked our garden and were so happy to find a spot to relax that they all stayed for 3 nights before moving on. When the sun came out, they liked it even more.

The retired couple, Linda & Hans, is travelling for 6 months and will be staying the winter in Aqaba, Jordan. They will return in February to stay a few more days with us.

The other one, Jürgen, will discover Syria extensively with a friend flying in on Monday. They will visit Lebanon for a few days and then Jordan. Maybe we’ll see him back or maybe he’ll go back to Europe via Egypt. He assured me he liked Syria so much that he will come back with his wife and children.

When Linda saw me picking the green tomatoes – I had to because they were not becoming red and the chickens were eating them - she gave me a recipe to make chutney. I had all ingredients but vinegar. She gave me a bottle. It is quite easy to make. And very tasteful.
The rest of the green tomatoes have been pickled.

I have started handing out to the children the tons of used cloths, calculators, torches and other goods that tourists left with us over the last month. Together with the stuff I brought myself, it is a lot.

It is heart warming to see how easily these children are pleased, although I must say that most of the cloths are in perfect condition and the best quality.

A few days ago, I gave a box of colour pencils to Rahaaf. She was over the moon. Her brother, Ahmed, was given a pair of plastic sun glasses and a calculator. She was not jealous at all and all excited with her present.

In other homes, children parade in the pair of jeans and sweaters they received every time I visit and tell me when and how they have played with the toys.

It’s great to be Santa Claus.

Labels: , , ,

Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home