.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

10 October 2007

I am Hercule Poirot

Looking into the mysterious death of 4 young hens.

Until yesterday, I found 1 dead every morning in the hen house. They do not show any signs of being bitten or stung. The most probable cause is a disease. As I said before the white one was sneezing a lot the first day, but then got better and started growing and defending herself.

She was the second one to go. I was very sad to lose her.

Since a few days, the 4 remaining hens are coming out in the morning. Until now they are active and very lively. They are the biggest and the strongest of the lot and might survive the virus or withstand it longer.

The rooster doesn’t seem to be affected by it. I’ve never seen such a tall rooster.

It is getting fresher. Animal visitors are coming into the house, preparing for the winter, I guess. I regularly have to put beetles and crickets outside.

A few days ago, a mouse came by. I’m not afraid of mice. They are quite beautiful. Dangerous for the carpets and kilims, though. So, I chased her. Eventually, she climbed into a galabia and I threw her outside.

A few tiny lizards are crawling around the place. They are harmless and quite useful eating the mosquitoes and flies.

And… about a week ago I was working in the garden very early in the morning. When I heard some movement in the grass I looked up and saw in a glimpse the partridge that we set lose. He is still alive and around here.

Google

1 Comments:

  • Dear Christel, be careful because your hens have probably dead for aviaria fever.
    Be careful

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 18/10/07 13:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home