.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

10 September 2007

Sad news

I am a little sad today. This morning I discovered dead the female half of the couple of birds we bought recently.

She was not happy at all and physically abused by the male. I caught him picking her head several times and I suspect the wound got infected.

He is not sad at all, walking around the cage, scratching the earth and eating. In fact, I find he is looking very macho and triumphant. She probably was a nuisance to him.

Mohamed suggests looking for another female, but I am not keen on that idea. I‘d much rather return him and get a couple that has chosen to be together.

It is possible she was ill or scared by a cat. There are many cats here and they have to prey for their food.

In a few days Ramadan will start. Luckily, the temperatures are dropping. It is now less than 30°C during the day and fresh at night.

The after-Summer travellers are now coming by. A Swiss couple left the camping today. They have been exploring the world by car for many years and are in Syria for the 2nd time.

Until now, people are very happy with the facilities, but soon we will need hot water. Who knows this week the solar panels will be installed. Although that might be a bit too soon. Let’s aim for next week.

I’ve been cleaning copper this week. 3 coffeepots and 2 “ash holders” (I believe they are called “bok”). Have been oiling the windows and doors. They are a bit reddish now, but next time I need to mix more coloured powder with the oil to turn them even redder. Have also “”siliconed” them to keep the water from coming in when raining.

And I got news my vacuum cleaner came back all repaired, but… during transport another piece got broken. I’ve seen it. It is true. Now need to wait for the second repair. Is promised for next Sunday.

Still in the process of buying some chicken. The henhouse is built the traditional way with rocks and cement of straw and red earth. It is in harmony with the traditionally piled up wall and will not clash with the 3 Bedouin rooms that will be built later on.

I wish I would post some pictures on my blog. I have been attempting to do so a few times. Each time it failed. Don’t know what the problem is. Something I should look into when I have got more free time.

Google

2 Comments:

  • Dear Christel,

    I've only just discovered your blog and have become completely fascinated! I've even started to read your archived blogs to see how you came to the decision to move to Syria permanently. If you don't mind, I have some questions that I think you may be in a unique position to answer.

    Have you had any problems as a Western woman who is living on her own in Syria? I would love to travel there for research (actually, going to Damascus and Aleppo has been a dream of mine for years, but I have to say it's for research to get my university to pay for the trip), but my employer is concerned about safety and I'm trying to find ways to convince them that an American woman can actually go to Syria and survive to tell the tale, so to speak.

    If I understand correctly, you didn't speak Arabic when you went to Syria. How much of a problem was this for you? How were you able to get around, ask directions, shop, etc.? I can read Arabic (slowly and with a dictionary), but my speaking ability is all but non-existant.

    How different is Damascus from Aleppo? I know that Aleppo is much smaller, and that it is the place you have chosen for your home, but are there other major differences between the two places?

    From one Libra to another,thank you so much for posting your blog! You've really made my day!

    Rebecca

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 17/9/07 18:29  

  • I'm going to Syria in 12 days, I'm so excited, your blogs have really been helpful, thank you/
    p.s Ramadan Kareem

    By Blogger Jana's Journeys, at 18/9/07 15:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home