.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

28 June 2007

What birds like to eat

So… the hottest period of the year has started. 36° C in the house late in the afternoon. The only way to spend a good night is to sleep outside. It also limits the number of hours I can spend working in the garden. I don’t succeed in getting up at 5 AM. That’s a nice time to spend outside working. It is too early for my system, though. I can’t manage before 7 AM on a good day. Maybe I need some time to adapt.

I’ve been putting plastic bags on a stick around the melons and watermelons to keep the birds away. As by coincidence, they started growing. Birds like picking them when they are very small.

I’ve also put plastic bags on the sunflowers. Birds like eating the sun pits. Will see in a few days whether that’s effective enough.

There are many birds nesting in the building. The cats can’t reach their nests, as they are hidden in holes high on the walls.

Last week I noticed the birds were mating again. They have 2/3 nests a year around here. A lot of chirping each morning until it is too hot.

Too hot to move around or make any sound.

In the evening, a dog is howling like wolves. It is very close. It seems to be a mother dog with some little ones. Sometimes you can hear them. I might have a dog very soon J

Soon Ahmed will arrive to play the game on the mobile. He fixed a rendezvous yesterday at 10 AM. Asked whether he could come around at 9 AM, but I told him it is too early for me. He would like to come around every day, the whole day. Doesn’t want anything to eat or drink, just sit down and play the game.

Rahaaf comes along and although the game is interesting to her, she doesn’t argue with Ahmed. Leaves him playing, while she tells me what is going on in her life, eating watermelon.

I wonder how they would react to a dog in the garden. For Muslims dogs are the lowest of creatures. They have to wash 7 times after having touched one. If I have one, I will have to teach it not to be touched. That doesn’t seem to be difficult. I am even told by a biology student (Belgian) that a dog prefers not to be touched by nature.

And I think it is true, because around here dogs don’t react to you or come to you when you call them. They stay and sit on a safe distance.

Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home