.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

04 November 2006

No longer with us

Last Saturday, Dzjidde died. I visited him On Wednesday to wish him a “Good Eid”. On Friday night he was suddenly very ill. In the end it was his heart that failed.

All the children and a lot of cousins joined him on his last night. They dug the grave on Saturday afternoon and had him buried (Muslims have to buried within 24 hours). Some white stones destined for the wall surrounding the balconies and veranda in my apartment were used as a grave stone.

A big tent was set up in the garden and during the next 4 days masses of visitors came by to convey the family their condolences.

A great loss to all of us. Also to me, because he was my best friend around here. I enjoyed his company, although it was hard to communicate with him. Not as much because of my lack of knowledge of the Arabic language, but because he was hard hearing.

During Ramadan, I was once with him alone at the table when the muezzin announced the end of the day. He did not hear it and continued waiting. It was obvious that he was very hungry. I told him to eat, but he did not hear what I was saying. I started to sign language, but in vain. 15 minutes later, his daughter arrived and all was well. He started eating.

The last time I visited him, he was all alone in the house. After some time, he asked me to push him in his wheelchair outside on the veranda which I did. From behind his back I asked him where. He heard and indicated where. I followed his instructions and again asked him from behind his back whether “this was OK”. And he confirmed. I am still amazed about that.

He asked me to bring on the cookies. There were 2 kinds. After having eaten both varieties. He told me that 1 variety was old and fed them to the cats telling me to eat the other kind.

After 1,5 hours I left him and he wished me a safe trip home holding a white rose in his hand.

He loved smelling flowers and herbs, often day dreaming and smiling as if the smell brought back good memories from long ago.

Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home