.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Christel's Diary

Google

24 February 2006

Capital of Islamic Culture

The weather is excellent ! It is like Summer in Belgium. The Syrians don't believe me. Every time I tell them : The weather is like Summer in Belgium, they smile at me clearly thinking : She is crazy.

On top of that, the city of Aleppo is being transformed day and night now. Buildings and bridges are being cleaned, parks redesigned, roads repaired... Within a few weeks Aleppo will receive a lot of visitors as it is the "Capital of Islamic Culture" this year.

Bab Antakia, the entrance to the part of the Medina where I am living, is also being completely cleaned up. All the little shops along the ancient city wall have to move across the street, behind some official buildings and the "meat and fish" souk with its typical odour also has to go. I do not know where. I will miss it. Never buy anything in it, as I am not sure my stomach can stand any meals prepared with the food they sell there, but it's a shortcut for me to go to the park and the shopping center giving me each time a very typical flavour of every day live in the Old City.

It will get very busy. Very much so, because the touristic high season is starting. I will probably have to flee to the countryside. Although I would like to take part in the upcoming festivities.

In the meantime, Serwat's baby has been named officially "Judy". According to the sjeik, this is an Arabic name. So, everybody is happy.

And Dzjidde has recovered. He is eating, drinking, sleeping and talking, although not all at the same time. He decided to stay a little bit longer amongst us.
I will visit him soon to say 'Hello".

Google

1 Comments:

  • Hi Christel

    I would like you to know that I regularly read your weblog. It's interesting to read about the unknown daily life in a Syrian village. It must be a unforgetable experience.

    Friendly regards

    Werner (last year in June we met in Aleppo in the hotel of your friend and did some sight-seeing together)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/3/06 01:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home